Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Veronica's Story

by Veronica
Here I am sitting at my computer typing away all my thoughts. Almost everything is done. I just have a few loose ends to tie up. In two days time my life will have to be compressed into one 29” suitcase and a backpack. I wonder if that is even possible?
My name is Veronica Otoya Salazar. I am 17 years old and soon, I will be going to Japan for 10 months. A lot of people have been asking me if I'm excited for my exchange to Japan. The answer to that is, “WELL, OF COURSE I AM!” People have also asked me if I'm nervous and the answer to that question is yes. Scared, worried, happy- yes, yes and yes. I’ve got a fraction of all these emotions inside of me. 
I will start by telling you a bit about my choice. A life accomplishment I would like to achieve is to travel the world and learn about the differences in cultures all over the world. The chance of becoming an exchange student is life changing to me. I know it will be a fantastic, fun and amazing experience. One can learn so much about a culture and a new language on a first hand basis. It will help me mature into a young adult in many different ways, and it will be an eye-opening journey where I will expand my global knowledge. I realize that being an exchange student will be challenging, but I feel that I am ready for this journey. When I tell people about my dream of being an exchange student in Japan, the first question I always get is: ” Why Japan out of all countries?” In my opinion Japan is a very isolated country and its people like to keep to themselves. Meanwhile, most Japanese people that I have met are very polite and respectful. These people devote themselves to everything that they do, until they reach perfection. I want to be surrounded by that type of environment. I would also love to visit and learn more about Japan’s amazing advancements regarding their technology. Japan has been known to create the most advanced technology, such as the bullet train.
I don’t want to be considered just “another tourist”. Instead, I want to be involved in Japanese life and get to know the people and their land. In the future, I hope to be fluent in Japanese so I may study at a university in Japan. My motto while being on the exchange will be “Go with the flow.” and “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.” This is how I believe I will get the most out of my exchange. To be given this opportunity means a lot to me. This interest of mine has become a passion I wish to keep expanding, and I must go to Japan in order to gain my own knowledge and understanding of Japan and its wonders.

Veronica is one of our Student Ambassadors and on program in Japan. Follow her adventures on her blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment