Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Life as a Host Sister

Kukka & I at the beach in Colchester
by Sarah

It's two weeks before all the exchange students come to Canada and I receive an email about becoming a host family. Three students still did not have a place to go. I got really excited, and right away I asked my parents. Most likely it was going to be a 'no' because of how expensive it was for us to have me going to South Korea.

But on Saturday August 25th, 2012, I, Sarah, became a host sister! Now, let's be honest. When you don't really know somebody, you feel awkward around them and you don't really know what to say. Therefore, I admit, when we first had Kukka arrive it was sorta like "awkward". Soon enough, though, it became less awkward.

The first week after Kukka arrived from Finland, I took her around the city. I took her down to the Detroit river since I live about 10 mintues away. Kukka gets to see Canada and the US in person...sort of...haha. We walked all the way to the bridge where America and Canada are connected. I showed her downtown. I took her to a lot of places. Eventually, I ran out of ideas, and I felt like I was boring her. But then I thought, well, this is the normal Canadian life! It's not all fun and games, and she is here to experience what it is like to be "Canadian".

In terms of how she has impacted our family, I think my family has become more helpful. Everyone likes to help around the house. My mom thinks Kukka is a really good exchange student. She's constantly helping around the house, always asking if she can help or do something. Having an exchange student is like having a new member family, or having a sleepover with someone for a year! I don't mind her being her. She's a very good person.

We took Kukka to some places already, like Colasanti's and Point Peele. She found everything so fascinating about being here. She likes to go downtown a lot and see places. To me, because I have been here so long, its like well...its boring here! But its amazing how its so amazing to her. I will probably feel the same when I arrive in Korea. At Colasanti's, we saw all the different animals, and played games and golf. Then we went to Point Peele, so she could visit the TIP OF CANADA!

Now that school's back in session, she hasn't gotten to go yet because of the wait. She's spent a lot of time going around the city and exploring, but we JUST got the news she can go to school soon! She's so excited!

Honestly, hosting a student isn't "strange", it feels very natural. It's just like having a new addition to the family!


Interested in hosting a student of your own? You can find a host family FAQ and application here!

1 comment: